Why Does There Have to be Something Wrong with AngularJS? | John Papa

added by Paul Wheeler
10/8/2014 12:59:07 PM

160 Views

Occasionally a post is written about a technology that critiques what the author feels is entirely wrong with it, like a recent post titled "What’s Wrong with AngularJS". So I want to offer some insight into my experience with Angular regarding the points the author makes, and then you can make your own decisions.

6 comments

Paul Wheeler
10/8/2014 1:05:13 PM
Not all frameworks will fit your development style, that doesn't make them bad.

Robert Greyling
10/8/2014 1:30:27 PM
I think John Papa has made some interesting points. For me mostly though I'm looking forward to Angular 2.0 - largly *because* it's a rewrite from lessons learned, and also because Rob Eisenberg is bringing his experience to the team. Being a big fan of Durandal myself, I see good things coming for Angular 2.0

Drew Peterson
10/9/2014 2:06:25 AM
I'm also very excited about Rob's (Eisenburg) involvement in Angular 2.0. After listening to him speak about the project on the DotNetRocks podcast a few weeks ago I've been salivating over it. I have a project in limbo that we started with Durandal 2.0, I decided to leave it on hold until Angular 2.0 comes out so that I can migrate it to whatever Durandal bits Rob sprinkles on top.

Drew Peterson
10/9/2014 2:03:22 AM
At first I had a hard time understanding why John would even bother writing a response to the original article, given how poorly supported the arguments against Angular were. But after reading it I think this could actually serve as a nice "mythbuster" reference for anyone with doubts about Angular or to some extent other MVVM frameworks.

Robert Greyling
10/9/2014 8:34:58 AM
Yeah, unfortunately the author of the original article has got a large audience and actually has some really good credentials being the author of Este.js and also an official Google "expert" like an MVP, so many folks are gonna listen, and if nobody speaks up to bust those myths, then yeah, somehow his post will just become the truth of it.

J Hall
10/10/2014 6:33:33 PM
The "What's Wrong" post lost me on that first point about expressing the app logic in HTML, but I had to read Papa's article to realize why: declarative, event-driven programming is freaking awesome! Thus, point 1 is a terrible argument for why a framework is "wrong." (Just ask our haskell friends)[http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell] :)