The problem with Angular

added by Robert Greyling
1/15/2015 2:45:13 PM

262 Views

In the last six months or so I talked to several prospective clients that had a problem finding front-end consultants in order to help their dev teams get a grip on their Angular projects.

7 comments

Bob Senoff
1/15/2015 6:09:47 PM
@n1cholasv are you finding a lot of this? I think you guys do Angular training for dev shops.

Nick Van Weerdenburg
1/15/2015 7:50:13 PM
@bobsenoff Yes, it's a challenge. It's also deceptively tricky to find the right person, because Angular means larger side client-side codebases, unit testing, and other practices that traditional front-end JavaScript developers have limited experience with. On the flip-side, back-end devs moving to Angular have to learn modern JavaScript and how to take a more functional approach to application composition. Throw in trying to unit test a first-cut AngularJS application and learn a new tool chain and there are a lot of challenges that benefit from experienced front-end AngularJS consultants with a background with larger codebases and architecture.

Robert Greyling
1/16/2015 7:43:42 AM
I work with a small shop of devs and for us, the worst part about it is not dealing with large code bases, but rather that a lot of the junior devs are picking up bad habits having to hack around things (like performance issues) - things they should never be having to do. Having them bring those habits into non-Angular projects was very difficult to see, and getting them to unlearn those even harder. I worry about what Angular is doing to the quality of code across the whole ecosystem - from what I've seen it's quite damaging. If what I've seen is what it naturally does to developers, I don't really want a shop full of Angular devs, I'd prefer just plain old JS devs and take it from there. And the funniest thing of all - I'm and old school Java dev from 20 years ago and I mainly work on back end stuff in big projects, so I know how tempting it is to let the framework lead you astray. Beans anyone?

Dom Barker
1/16/2015 9:26:26 AM
@n1cholasv "traditional front-end JavaScript developers have limited experience with" I rather resent this :)

Robert Greyling
1/16/2015 9:28:14 AM
Haha, I wouldn't go so far as to call yourself "traditional" Dom - you're anything but! :)

Dom Barker
1/16/2015 9:45:55 AM
But I have a flat cap!?

Paul Wheeler
1/16/2015 2:16:02 PM
Whelp, I guess I'm just another one of those back-end devs who loves Angular :)