TypeScript 1.4 sneak peek: union types, type guards, and more

added by Paul Wheeler
11/20/2014 2:20:38 PM

223 Views

Let's take a quick look at some of the new features you'll be able to use in the next release of TypeScript. All these features are live in the master branch on our GitHub repository if you'd like to check them out yourself today.

5 comments

Drew Peterson
11/20/2014 6:51:19 PM
I'm drooling so hard right now :) @RobertTheGrey @paulwheeler @MostlyHarmlessD Do either of you gents use typescript much? @tech_fort I was thinking that it would be beneficial to use Typescript in my app code when working with an in-memory database like Loki, any thoughts on that? Looks like no one has gone through the process of creating type providers for Loki yet on [DefinitelyTyped](https://github.com/borisyankov/DefinitelyTyped).

Robert Greyling
11/24/2014 8:38:22 AM
Must be hones, I haven't done terribly much with TS, and nothing for production work, just played with it a bit. Feels a little bit like a work in progress to me but I think it's making good strides into helping build large and most importantly - maintainable - apps in the future

techfort
11/20/2014 7:59:41 PM
I'm not very familiar with Typescript but from a Loki point of view I can tell you that in december we're going to release v1.1.0 which will include typed collections and (most interestingly) de-serialization with prototypes, so you can inflate objects and leverage prototype methods and properties.

Drew Peterson
11/20/2014 8:15:40 PM
I'd love to see a writeup on that, it really sounds like something Typescript would work very well with. Especially given the support for prototypes, developers could develop model objects with neat features like entity/change tracking and serialize them with that behavior :)

techfort
11/20/2014 8:25:42 PM
It's coming soon :) v1.1 will bring lots of goodies for xmas, or should I say Yule.